Home 9 Ways To Give 9 Legacy Giving

Legacy Giving

Endowment Fund

A named endowment fund is an excellent way to ensure your gift continues to support the Foundation over time to meet the needs of the community.

Endowed gifts are not spent at the time the gift is made. The gift is invested and a portion of the investment income (3.5%) is disbursed annually to support current and new initiatives. This steady income allows for long-term strategic planning. The balance of the income is re-invested to protect the fund against inflation.

Gifts in Wills

Did you know that you can make a large and lasting contribution to the Mental Health Foundation through a gift in your Will? Wills are more than just legal documents to distribute your personal assets—they can be powerful tools to make a change in mental health care.
Many find leaving a gift in their will the simplest way to make a significant donation while taking care of their own future and that of their loved ones. You may choose a specific dollar amount or a percentage of assets. Even 1% of your estate could result in a truly powerful gift, still leaving 99% for family and friends. Your estate will receive a charitable receipt and reduce taxes paid.

Alternatively, you may wish to designate the Mental Health Foundation as a beneficiary of your RRSP/RIF as they become fully taxable as income in the year of death. This may have significant tax benefits for your estate and is easy to change in the event of altered circumstances.
Learn more about how your Will can make an impact on our Will Power page, or contact us with your specific questions.

Sample Wording for a Bequest to The Mental Health Foundation

“To pay the Mental Health Foundation (Charitable Registration #821577673RR0001) the sum of $__________ or ___% of the residue of my estate. It is my wish that the funds be used specifically for unrestricted expendable use by the Mental Health Foundation, for the purposes and designs deemed appropriate by the Mental Health Foundation Board of Directors.”

Legal Name and Address:
Mental Health Foundation, 6th Floor, 9942 108 Street NW, Edmonton AB T5K 2J5
Charitable Registration Number: 821577673RR0001

Life Insurance and Securities

Donating life insurance, securities, or mutual funds is an easy way to support the Mental Health Foundation without affecting your current income and provides tax-saving benefits.

Life Insurance

There are several ways you can use your life insurance policy to support the Mental Health Foundation.

  1. Assign ownership of a fully paid policy to the Mental Health Foundation. A charitable tax receipt will be issued for the cash surrender value of the policy at the time the gift is made
  2. Assign ownership of a life insurance policy on which premiums remain to be paid to the Mental Health Foundation. A charitable tax receipt will be issued for the cash surrender value of the policy at the time the gift is made, and annual receipts for ongoing premiums paid.
  3. Name the Mental Health Foundation as a primary or successor beneficiary of the policy proceeds. A charitable tax receipt will be issued for the value of the death benefit received, and may be used to offset estate taxes in the year of death.
  4. Purchase “wealth replacement” insurance. Make a philanthropic contribution to the Mental Health Foundation. A charitable tax receipt will be issued for the value of the donation. You may then use the tax savings to purchase a life insurance policy for the value of the donation, naming your heirs as beneficiaries. The proceeds of the policy will not be included in your estate for probate purposes and are payable tax free to your heirs as part of their inheritance. This option ensures that your estate is not diminished.

Donors are encouraged to consider the needs of family first and to consult with their advisors to be sure their gift considers overall tax and estate plans.

Securities

Capital gains on contributions made to the Mental Health Foundation are tax exempt.

Gifts can be made now or through your estate in three easy steps:

  1. Complete the Securities Transfer Form.
  2. Email a copy of the completed transfer form to the Mental Health Foundation for processing.
  3. Send the transfer form to your broker or investment advisor.

A tax receipt will be issued for the value of the securities/units the day the Mental Health Foundation receive them.